US Student Visa Services and Information

US Student Visa ServicesAttorney Richard Ruth in Gainesville Florida offers US Student Visa services for aspiring students or exchange visitors throughout the world. For a consultation fee of $40 per 20 minutes, I can answer your specific US student or exchange visitor visa (F/M/J) questions. For international clients, I can offer consults and services via e-mail, video conferencing and telephonically. For clients close to Gainesville Florida I offer in-person office consultations. For clients presently in the United States in another status, such as visitor visa status, we can also help file Change of Status (I-539) Applications to student visa status in certain situations. For exchange visitors in J status who wish to change their status, we can also provide advice and assistance on the process of seeking a waiver of the 2 year “home residency requirement”, where applicable.

What is the Student Visa Process?

For individuals coming to the United States to participate in a formal academic course of study, vocational study, or pursuant to an exchange visitor program, either an F (academic), M (vocational) or J (exchange visitor) visa is required. Such activities are NOT usually permitted in a visitor visa status. Complying with student visa requirements is extremely important.

Most students come to the US in F-1 student visa status, for academic study purposes. Securing an F student visa (or changing status within the United States to F-1 status), requires admission to a proper US school and course of study. Upon admission, the US school will provide the applicant with an I-20 document. Upon receipt of that I-20, you will then pay the required SEVIS fee, and then may apply for a student visa (or submit a change of status in certain situations to F-1 status).

When applying for a student visa (or seeking change of status to student status), certain documents will be required, including proof of financial resources to match expectations listed on the I-20, passport documentation, the I-20, birth certificate, and other types of documentation. After entry (or upon change of status to F status), maintaining proper status by continuing in your course of instruction is extremely important.

Is Employment Authorized for Students?

While in student status, employment options are very limited. Certain on-campus employment may be allowed in limited circumstances. Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) is sometimes an option. And after graduation, students may receive Optional Practical Training authorization (OPT). Before seeking any employment, ensure that such employment is authorized by the school and your status, because status violations can result in a long time ban from the United States.

To set up an initial consultation to discuss any questions you have about your student visa situation our US student visa services, please e-mail us today and attorney Richard Ruth will be happy to speak with you!